Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Patience is a Virtue

Lea's feeding tube was put back in last night. And let me just say, this is not a set-back. It's just another valuable lesson in patience.

Her tiny little body got a little too tired with all those bottle feedings she was getting. Instead of eight bottles, she will have six today; this will give her a little break from all that work. When a preemie drinks from a bottle, it is comparable to you or I running for miles at a time. That will wear you out! Can you imagine feeling that depleted every time you ate? Eight times a day??

My sweet hubby and baby girl :)

In a few days Lea should work her way back up to eight bottle feedings a day. Once she can handle consuming eight bottles per day for a couple of days back to back, we will be able to take our girl home! All we can do right now is just wait, practice patience and keep praying. Lea will let us know when she is ready.

To any preemie parents reading this, I think it is important for you to know that there will always be "lessons in patience" when waiting for your little one to get well and come home. My wish for you is that you allow these lessons to help you grow into a stronger and more spiritual person that you previously were. And this goes for anyone who is battling impatience: Pray for patience -- He is listening.

"Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. but to keep going when the going is hard and slow - that is patience." - Unknown

4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Jessica for sharing your beautiful story with the world. You're right...it is an incredible blessing to other preemie moms. Our little Ethan was born on Aug. 20, 2010 at 2 lbs., 6 ozs. He is a healthy, happy, beautiful boy, rocking in his swing next to me as I cry watching your videos. We too have an announcement video and I watch it so many times and think about how much our lives were getting ready to change, how our minds were so innocent to the world of having a preemie, and how much better we are now that our hearts are softened and our lives so complete. Here is a link to my blog: diveleys.blogspot.com
    I did well keeping it updated while he was in the hospital but once we got home the real work started and I haven't been as diligent! Thanks again for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting your blog on preemies101. I have just begun my journey as a NICU parent. My sweet Katelyn was born at 30 weeks weighing 1 lb 7 oz and 12" long. I am inspired by your story and I'm hopeful that our journey will be smooth and short. I have had a blog for almost 3 years feel free to read and get to know my family. I will keep you and little Lea in my prayers. I look forward to reading updates on her progress. I hope she gets to go home soon!

    mamatayandcolt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very much en joying your blog! it is amazing how far you have come! My son was born at 27weeks and was 2lbs 13oz and he was in the NICU for 105days... the hardest time in my life. As a first time mom I didnt know how i was ever going to get through it, but i did! now he is almost 7months and doing amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this. It's exactly what I needed today. My little preemie (born at 29 weeks, currently 38 weeks gestational) is going through this exact thing and I was getting discouraged. Mostly because I just want her home, but this post really helped me. It will all come together in God's perfect timing.
    P.S. I have the same tattoo as you!

    ReplyDelete