Sunday, April 24, 2011

Lea Unplugged

Happy Easter!

Today we came one step closer to normalcy. Lea spent all day wire-free, unattached to her heart monitor. We decided to give it a try since we'd be in church, and the machine tends to ring its deafening alarm any time we are out in public. Also, I can't lie... I went from loving to despising this monitor over the past few weeks. I'd seriously like to beat it up, like the scene in Office Space where they go to town on the the fax machine with a baseball bat. At first, having it gave us piece of mind. But after countless ear-splitting false alarms that wake you out of dead sleep, tripping over wires and lugging around all this extra baggage, we decided we needed a break. I think Lea did too. She was noticeably more comfortable today without the thick band that is usually wrapped around her torso quite snugly, which often chafed and reddened her sensitive baby skin.

First Easter - 2011

My little muffin did great without her monitor. And surprisingly, Mommy did as well. Aside from the couple of times I woke her out of a dead sleep just to make sure she was still breathing, I felt pretty comfortable having her "unplugged," although I NEVER once took my eyes off of her. At church this morning, we also had the pastor pray over Lea that God would keep her safe in this new transition. That most definitely helped to put my mind at ease.

It felt so good to carry Lea (and only Lea) in my arms today. No wires to hold up off the floor as I walked... no heavy monitor to carry on my shoulder. Just me and Lea - as it should be. Tonight the monitor will go back on. We're not quite to the point where she can sleep without it. Hopefully that day is coming soon that the doctor says it can be removed for good. Until then, we'll just be unplugged during the day!

pooped.
1 Peter 1:3
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead...

4 comments:

  1. That is so exciting and y'all are a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica! I happened upon your blog from the March of Dimes website. My son, Dominic, was born at 26+3 days and weighed 2lbs, 7oz's. I also have a blog to document our journey, feel free to check it out. Erica http://dsavini.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for monitor free days!!!!! And so soon! Good for you and for Lea too. My JD was a different boy in terms of his development and happiness in general, when that monitor could begin to be used less. It was a happy day when it went away entirely. You'll be there before you know it! Blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I've been there. Elizabeth was sleeping through the night when we brought her home- the monitor however woke us up with many loose lead false alarms. We were able to take her totally off at 6 1/2 months because I kept pushing the doctor to take her off because she no longer set the alaem off. If you need anything- let me know.

    ReplyDelete